Monday, December 7, 2009

Teachers...Forget the $50 gift from a student!! Blog 16

Teachers....don't expect a pricey spa certificate or a fancy restaurant certificate this year for Christmas from your students. How about those very hard-to-find tickets to a theater or a sporting event? You won't be getting any fine wine either or anything for that matter that values more than $50!!!

WOW!! Do teachers actually receive these as gifts over the holidays from their students? Have you? Do you know a teacher who has? Well, apparently, school superintendents are sending home letters this holiday season stating to NOT go overboard with gift-giving to teachers and other staff. If a parent goes over $50, violations are subject to civil penalties. This has to do with a new ethics law in which teachers on public payrolls aren't allowed to accept gifts over $50!

Has gift giving gotten out of hand?? What about the parent who gave her child's teacher a Rolex watch? A Prada purse? A high-definition TV? This has happened in California and other states around the country. Now, I have to ask myself, is this out of the goodness of someone's heart or is there some bribery going on in this competitive atmosphere?

Either way, legislature has had the $50 rule in play since 1976. I didn't realize there was a statute of limitations on gift giving until now. "People need to understand that teachers are public employees and subject to the conflict-of-interest law," said David Giannotti, spokesman for the State Ethics Commission. "Gifts have a tendency to unlevel the playing field and can be exploited."

So what constitutes as valued gifts for teachers? What about your basic homemade cookies as a gift? Or a box of chocolates? Or a handwritten note by the child? I once received a case of Mountain Dew! I didn't realize that some teachers around the country were receiving a check for $200! How uncomfortable would you feel in this case? Maybe the statute of limitations is appropriate. Some school districts go as far as banning gifts.

The Lexington Education Foundation runs a program in which a parent can donate $20 to the foundation in honor of a specific person. "The recognition program is one way to support teachers and the school system," said Deb Rourke, a co-president and a mother of three children. "How many mugs does a teacher need?"

How about a teacher wish-list? Many teachers have had a wish-list for things in their classroom since the first day of school. These things may include hand sanitizers, plastic baggies, etc. This way, you know the gift will be put to good use instead of collecting dust somewhere.

"Parents are very interested in staying within the boundaries of the law," Carin Casey, co-president of the Parent Teacher Association said, "and making sure that teachers are not put in the awkward position of saying, 'I can't accept the gift.'"

Would you be able to accept a Rolex? A high-definition TV? I would be just as happy with a case of Mountain Dew....maybe!!

8 comments:

  1. Denise--This is a really interesting (and timely!) topic! I was both unaware of the law prohibiting such luxurious gifts to teachers and equally the fact that such gifts were actually ever being given! I can certainly understand the point that it may have a certain amount of "commitment" from the teacher and know that personally, I would not be comfortable in such a position--although, I would appreciate the high-def TV or rolex from my husband! :)

    I personally do like the idea of the teacher's wish list. When I think at some of my past gifts, while I am completely appreciative, for the usefulness of some of them, I would probably have preferred something to use in my classroom. As teachers, we are altogether way too familiar with the concept of spending our own money for the good of our classroom. If some of the items could be covered through gifts, I am especially appreciative of the time and cash that it saves me!

    Great topic, Denise!! --Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    I, like Mindy, was unaware of the law and that teachers received such lavish gifts. Personally, I would be extremely uncomfortable if I received such an expensive gift from a student because I would feel that I was being bribed.

    However, since this is my first Christmas teaching, I've actually asked my students not to buy me a gift but instead put that money towards our fund that we have to buy presents for needy families. Each year, the Jr. High picks out angel(s) off a tree to purchase gifts for a family. I have what I need and I think it's important to teach my students that there are others less fortunate than myself. I also know that the other two teachers in my department feel the same way and have asked the same thing of their homeroom students.

    Now having said that, I have a student who said that his parents will do that but will also get me a gift. So I told my student that I do have a wish-list of things that I would like for the classroom. They can find the list in the school office. So we'll see what happens!

    Denise, thanks for blogging on such an issue at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that teachers received such huge gifts. I would feel very awkward. Maybe the parents who give these gifts are saying, “thanks for putting up with my child.” But it probably is to show off their wealth. I like the idea of having a classroom wish list. Instead of getting another ‘best teacher’ ornament, or dust collecting figurines, teachers could make a list of useful items to use in the classroom like mechanical pencils, paintbrushes, crayons, stickers, or prizes for the prize box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Denise-

    I would rather of the cookies instea of a watch. Just kidding a bit. I had no idea there was law against giving teachers big gifts. I think it is a smart move to let parents know that this is in place. It seems like the parents are trying to buy grades and that alone is nuts. When I gave a teacher a gift it was just a mug or something and they seemed to like the thought behind so why do people always have to push the envolpe. I appauld the schools for sending out the letters and hope more parents bring cookies to the classroom or buy supplies off the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so interesting! I had not clue that such a law existed, I guess I should let my parents know they have a $50 limit, just kidding! I can't imagine getting any of the gifts you listed. I honestly don't expect to get anything from parents but I do love the baked goodies, small giftcards or things for the classroom. I have to admit I have enough teacher ornaments. I think it is unnecessary for teachers to receive the expensive gifts. I want to meet these people who are buying and getting these gifts, do they teach on Rodeo Drive?

    One of my nephews had a teacher who sent home Christmas gift idea list. It included post-its, stickers, Hershey kisses, etc. I thought it was sorda tacky and I would never feel comfortable doing this. I don't want to come off greedy or give parents the impression that a gift is necessary. What do you think about sending home a list? If I do make a list in the future, I'll have to include that TV I want or maybe some Vikings tickets ;).

    Great Topic! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I receive gifts from my students but they are usually homemade goodies. I would never expect or accept a gift like the ones listed above. I cannot believe there is a law in place because of extreme gift giving. Homemade cards make my day so a gift of tickets or anything else would be a little weird for me. I don't expect gifts from my students especially during these economic times. It makes me sad to think that someone would rather bribe their teacher rather than doing the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise,

    I've never heard of such extravagant gifts for teachers before. That's absolutely crazy. I wouldn't have even known it's against the law. If I was confronted with this sort of situation, at this point in my life, I'd say no to anything extravagant for sure. I don't like to own too much stuff anymore. It weighs me down too much. Besides, it would be especially uncomfortable if they were doing it as a bribe for good grades. At my grade level, 6th, nobody cares that much if they get an A or a C on the report card nor does it matter all that much to most universities.

    The majority of gifts I've received are mugs and ornaments or Jamba Juice or Starbucks cards. I need to start organizing a donation tool instead from now on, though.

    Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    Randy B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also was not aware of any law that set a maximum value on gifts for teachers. I guess I had never heard of teachers receiving such lavish gifts. At the high school level, I would definitely be afraid to accept any gift that was worth that much. I get too many students joking about what it would take ($) for them to raise their grade or not have to do an assignment. If I ever accepted a valuable gift, I would be afraid of the repercussions that accepting the gift would be create. They say with abuse cases that the perception is just as serious as the act. The perception that a teacher accepted a gift and gave any preferential treatment to that student would create too many woes in the classroom. How can you interract with a student if everything you do with student may be perceived as the bribe you took? No thanks!

    ReplyDelete